I made up my mind by Friday that new shoes and hikers were needed NOW! I went at lunch and bought new walking shoes for the gym. After work I went right over to Cabella's, the hunting /fishing outdoor super store, thinking that I would have a great selection of hikers to choose from. I didn't. There were 3 light mid-hikers. I choose the Cabella's brand because they have great equipment and that was the boot that fit the best. So now I was equiped for the weekend.
I live in Krum, a small town near the college town of Denton. Back about 100 yars ago it was a farming community on the railroad where winter wheat was collected and sent on it's way. We have a 4 way stop in the epi-center of town, a block from the old grain silo next to the track (which has been converted to a very interesting residence), where the old false front brick buildings congregate. Here you can go to City Hall, eat, fuel your car, buy groceries, access your bank account, get a tan, let your kids take a gymnastic/cheerleader class and you can browse the "antique" store. In the last few years there have been a few housing developements and businesses build up east of town and as a result the housing developers helped the city build a new baseball/softball park on the west side of town. Still the population is only about 2500 people.
The park is very nice. It has 3 fields with a concession stand and bathrooms in the center. There is a sidewalk that rings the outside as an exercise track. It's made of concrete and is very nice for small children on bikes and Moms with baby strollers but not so nice for middle aged people trying to train for a very long walk in northern Spain. I found out a couple of weeks ago that shin splints are not fun so I now walk in the grass next to the concrete.
Saturday morning rolled around with a cool front so it was only 80 F at 8:00 am. I took the opportunity to take the first of what I hope to be many long weekend walks. I headed over to the baseball park and from there walked north. The roads north are perfect for trekking. Every so often a car will pass but mostly you are on your own. Picture open fields contained by barbed wire strung on mesquite fence posts, sparsely populated with a few cows and sprinkle a couple of houses in between the fields. The area is flat for the most part with very little shade except for the volunteers that sprung up on the edge of the fences. It's odd that the birds sitting on the fence are responsible for planting trees.
So I walked up the quiet country road for about an hour and took a different way home. A big mistake! I chose to take a primary road back and really regretted that decision. Cars came by in groups every couple of minutes and the side of the road had no shoulder, only an edge to cling to. I spent another hour wishing I had turned around and returned to the quiet road that I had started on. I even got asked if I needed a ride. The man came by and asked if I was walking for exercise or if I needed a lift. I told him exercise and thanked him for his kindness.
I made it home all in one piece and learned that walking should be limited to back roads. I also learned that hot spots on your foot become blisters. :(
Monday, August 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment